I was bouncing around on some of the blogs and found a cool post on a blog that I follow. The subject was something that I think we all do or have, but give little or no thought to… What do you keep in your pack, or items that never leave your pack. I read her list and then some of the comments and it got me to thinking and actually running out to my pack to see what I never take out.
I assumed at the outset that this list was to be that stuff that NEVER comes out of my pack.. so for me that would be those items that I take no matter what kind of camping I am doing, no matter where I am going, or no matter how long or far I am venturing in the woods.
The other component to this discussion is who I am camping with. Scouts or just friends and family.
So I want to know what those items are in your pack. Here is my list of items that just never come out of the pack.
1. First Aid kit. I check it annually when we show the new Scouts some of the things that they should consider when making their own kits. But it never comes out of my pack and is always loaded in the right hip belt.
2. Poop kit. This kit consists of bags, toilet paper, Wet One singles. Pretty sure that’s self explanatory.
3. Ditty bag of fire starting materials. A couple cotton balls covered in Vaseline, a few Wet Fire cubes, a Light My Fire fire steel, and a few sticks of Fat wood and a lighter.
4. Zip lock bag with one extra wool socks.
5. Ditty bag with about 50 feet of line and a compass, Micro pure tablets.
6. UCO Candle Lantern
7. Headlamp and 2 extra batteries.
8. Clothing bag with synthetic long sleeve top, Poly long bottoms, beenie hat, light gloves.
9. Hammock (Warbonnet Blackbird) and Tarp (Warbonnet Super Fly)
10. Water Filter
I remove my tarp and hang it dry for a day or so then it goes right back in.
I always keep my Top quilt and Under quilt hanging till I need them.
Clothing is decided in planning for the trip.
Food bag is clipped to backpack till I load it. Water Bladders are in food bag till they are filled.
Cook kit is loaded on outside of pack and I decide how much fuel etc when I meal plan.
I wear my knife (Light My Fire Mora).
So that’s the basics.. What never leaves your Pack?
Have a Great Scouting Day!