From our Friends at the BSA Internal Communications via Scout Wire:
Dateline February 29, 2012
The new online tour and activity plan has been developed and will soon be ready for use.
When compared to the former tour permit process, the new plan will no longer require signatures or approvals. Rather, as the plan is completed online, the required prerequisites for that type of trip or activity will be displayed.
For any prerequisites that have not been met (for example, not having someone on a trip who has Hazardous Weather training where this training is required), and before being allowed to submit the form, the person completing the form will have to certify that all prerequisites will be met prior to conducting the trip or activity. Once submitted, an email notification will be sent to your council, chartered organization, committee chair, unit leader, and emergency contact to let them know that a plan has been submitted. Receivers of this notification can log in to MyScouting and review the plan.
Other tour and activity plan enhancements include the following:
- Because email notifications will be sent once a plan has been submitted, it is important to maintain current leadership information in the system.
- Links are provided to current program-required training and education.
- System prompts and warnings are included.
- You will be able to review and fix any deficiencies flagged by the system prior to submitting the plan.
- You can store, retrieve, copy, and reuse completed tour and activity plans.
- Files such as trekking plans and flight plans may be uploaded.
- Unit volunteers who currently have access to the tour and activity plan will be able to view and update all plans submitted for their unit up to the day before the scheduled tour date.
- There will be leader certification of the plan prior to submission.
For those who do not have Internet access or simply prefer paper over an electronic version, a PDF version can be found on the tour and activity plan FAQ page.
Tour and Activity Plan Demo
Before implementation to unit volunteers, we are providing a demo to familiarize you and your employees with this new tool. The demo will be accessible to councils on MyBSA until April 30. You will have the ability to create, edit, copy, or print a plan, but not submit one. On May 1, the new tour and activity plan will be activated for authorized unit volunteers to access in MyScouting. We encourage your employees to show the demo to key volunteers, but due to the need to protect the personal information of the membership, this must be done via MyBSA.
The demo may be accessed online. When the MyBSA login screen appears, enter your current MyBSA user name and password. It will take you to the tour and activity plan home page, where you can begin and create a new plan.
A training video has been developed that guides you through the application process and can also be shared with your unit volunteers.